Monday 28 January 2013

A Duff Decision - Now Rectified

Back in July last year, I took a subscription to Q Magazine.
The first issue was a good read - nice long article about Blur, plenty of other stuff to read, a fairly comprehensive review section, and not as stuffed full of adverts as I expected.

Beware of false hope - subsequent editions just haven't been as interesting, or indeed as full as the first subscription copy.  It has been a case of continually diminishing returns, and the last edition (received just after Christmas) was read cover to cover in under 2 hours.
This issue was filled with a series of Spotify Playlists (too much space, not enough substance), Rhianna's 777 tour (7 concerts in 7 days in 7 cities) (not interested), and an interview with Liam Gallagher (too much "are Oasis getting back together" or "go on Liam say something controversial").  In short, I was disappointed.
In the 6 months I've had the subscription, I can honestly say the content, interviews and reviews have not inspired me to investigate anything new.

So what is to be done?  Simple answer, I have switched the subscription to Mojo.
New issue has just arrived, and straight away the names on the cover give me reason to feel like I'm going to enjoy this (Pink Floyd, Gram Parsons and The Specials versus Beady Eye, Rhianna and Biffy Clyro - no contest, at least not in my little world anyway)
I think I've found the correct demographic - the first issue is already providing enough inspiration to make me go and spend money with those nice people at Amazon. (Tame Impala - 'Lonerism', Django Django - 'Django Django', Adam Ant - 'Adam Ant is The Blueblack Hussar In Marrying The Gunners Daughter')

The cover CD is superb, and unlike many other magazine cover CDs, it is one which will not be going in the bin fairly soon.  Titled 'Echoes - A Compendium of Modern Psychadelia', it is a collection of tracks which are recognisably unique in their own right, with reference/influence from elements diverse as: Psych, Garage, The Beatles, The Byrds, The Velvet Underground and Serge Gainsbourg.  That's pretty much all bases covered, and thoroughly enjoyable it is too.  (The Amazon Wish List has now been further expanded).

And now a recipe:
Take equal parts (or unequal parts, depending on taste and ear sensitivity) of:
  • The Beatles
  • The Byrds
  • Syd Barrett
  • Reverb-dowsed vocals (as heard on the "Nuggets" compilation)
  • Ringo Starr's drum sound (from 1966 onwards)'s drums
  • And a sprinkling of the riff from Dave Berry's "Little Things"
Bind together as you see fit, dust with your own harmonies and inspiration, and this is what you get:

Temples - Shelter Song


In summary, recognize the past and create something new - which is what the band have done, and it is the best new track I've heard for a long time.

The decision to switch to Mojo has (in the space of one issue) proved to be a worthwhile decision - not sure my bank manager would agree.

1 comment:

  1. This new issue of Mojo with it's accompanying CD seems to creating quite a buzz - my local shop gets it in on Thursday, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete