Friday 2 January 2015

Whats Another Year

In my true curmudgeonly state, I can clearly say that 2015 will be much the same as 2014 (and pretty much every preceding year).
I am not expected any seismic changes in my life in the coming 12 months - so in the words of Curtis Mayfield I will just Keep On Keeping On.

Traditionally, a new year marks a time of taking stock, considering lessons learned from the past, and considerations/intentions for the future.  This may result in the formulation of New Years Resolutions, which will probably never happen, and by 17th February be all but forgotten.
I did consider the making of New Years resolutions based around personal health and intake, but hit a couple of walls with those:

  • Smoking - Yes, I probably should give up Smoking, but (a) I actually enjoy it, and don't actually want to stop, and (b) I was given a new lighter for Christmas and it would be rude not to use it.
  • Eating - Due to a set of incredibly bad teeth, and daft decisions like skipping lunch because I'm too busy to remember, I'm actually about a stone and a half lighter than this time last year.  So, if anything, I actually need to eat more over the next 12 months.  It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.  I suppose I could supplement my diet with healthier options.
    Salad?  Who eats this stuff and actually enjoys it.  Its just garnish and gets in the way of the Steak on the plate.
    Decaffinated coffee?  It promises so much and delivers nothing.  It's like Danny Dyer or Peter Andre - I know they exist, but fail to see why?
    Diet Coke?  All fizz and no substance.
  • Drinking - How can I possibly consider this when there are all these half finished bottles left from Christmas?  OK, so the concept of 'Have A Dry January' has been suggested.  And to comply with this I will restrict my intake to Dry Cider, Dry White Wine and Dry Gin.



2014 saw the fulfillment of a long held ambition when I got to see The Jam live (OK, it was From The Jam, but it does contain one original member).
2015 sees a new album due from Paul Weller, so I will hopefully get to see him perform live as too (if I can get my arse in gear and stop finding excuses not to visit that London or other metrpolises (metrpoloi?)).
And I also intend to set foot inside a cinema for the first time in about 6 years.  Not because there are any films I specifically want to see, just because I think it's about time I did.

Despite quizzical looks and protestations that "you can't possibly want anymore CDs, surely you have enough already" I will keep buying new stuff, and re-discovering old stuff.  Yes I know that I can't possibly listen to everything I own, but at least I know I've got it should the whim ever take me.

So there you go - the next 12 months will be a haze of Eating copious amounts (whilst continuing to argue that Doner Kebab is a health food because it contains all the major food groups in one easy to eat package), Drinking (probably to excess), Smoking, buying more Music & DVDs (that I definitely do need) and talking rubbish on the interweb - much like the last few years then.
Time to shave off the beard that has grown since Christmas Eve (I'm on holiday, why would I want to waste time shaving), get back to a more responsible frame of mind (rather than continuing to paddle in a sea of perpetual adolescence, and get back to doing something productive with my time (well, going to work anyway).



Curtis Mayfield - I'll Keep On Keeping On

No comments:

Post a Comment